We understand your love for coffee, but your frequent coffee runs might be keeping you from getting the fit and fab bod you want. We won’t stop you from visiting your favourite cafés though, but do try to avoid these coffee shop habits that might be contributing to your unwanted weight gain.
- Ordering Creamy Blends. Frappe and other creamy blends are some of the fattiest drinks that you’ll find in a café menu. The drink’s culprit ingredients include sugar syrup, full cream milk, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream – see how fattening is that? The good thing is, you don’t have to completely avoid your favourite mocha frappuccino. Simply order a light frappe that uses non-fat milk and less sugar. If you want, you can also ask the barista for a low-fat concoction alternative. You still get your favourite drink, but in its lighter and healthier version.
- Adding More Sugar. This is probably one of the most common coffee shop habits that most of us do. Fortunately, this can be easily corrected by lessening your sugar and training your palate to appreciate the different aromas and flavours of brewed coffee.
- Using Processed Creams. Sure, they taste delicious, but the flavoured creamers added in your drink are actually full of fat, preservatives, and sugar. For healthier alternatives, opt for low-fat, almond, rice, or soy milk instead. If you want to a kick of more flavour, ask the barista for a packet of cinnamon, mocha, or vanilla, and dash it over your drink.
- Going for Specialty Drinks. Next to the creamy blends, specialty drinks or limited-edition concoctions take the second spot for high-caloric cafe beverages. So before you’re tempted to order a tall glass of brownie shake with whipped-cream, ask yourself this: “Do I really want to drink 500 calories in just one sitting?” Just thinking about it will surely convince you enjoying a slice of brownie with a cup of regular brewed coffee instead.
- Buying from the Pastry Section. They may look good and appetizing, but the sandwiches and pastries sold at cafés are actually more calorie-laden than the ones you prepare at home. Save yourself from the extra calories by preparing your own sandwiches, and just grabbing your daily cup of Joe from your favourite café. Not only will you avoid the extra calories, you’ll also save some dollars.
Now that you know the not-so-good cafe habits to avoid, you can now enjoy a great-tasting cup of coffee in a smarter and a much healthier way.